CODAC is among the only providers in Rhode Island to offer comprehensive tobacco treatment, delivered by Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialists. Our clinicians have been certified as Tobacco Treatment Specialists (C-TTSs) through the nationally accredited University of Massachusetts Medical School program. With support from the Rhode Island Department of Health tobacco cessation services are available to all our patients.
Tobacco Cessation Services of RI (TCSRI), operating under the CODAC mantle, offers best practice tobacco treatment programs combining counseling and use of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT). The success of our program depends on regular communication with each participant’s primary care or other healthcare provider; our specialists consult directly with these providers to determine which type(s) of NRT is indicated based on health status and personal needs.
TCSRI services available to patients and community members:
- Direct treatment programs/cessation groups (internally at CODAC and to outside agencies), including comprehensive personalized assessment, treatment planning and relapse support
- Support for family members to help reduce the impact of second and third hand smoke
- Collaboration with primary care physicians on prescribing of NRT and other health matters
- Referrals to Quitworks-RI for continued support with quit attempts or for help in maintaining a tobacco free lifestyle
- Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist (C-TTS) trainings for professionals in RI, MA and CT, including follow-up supervision by a TTS
- Consultation and support to community providers/agencies on becoming a tobacco free organization
- Participation in statewide public policy initiatives involving tobacco control and cessation
In 2012, CODAC became the first behavioral health provider in RI, and the first of two nationally, to become a federally recognized tobacco-free agency.